Moroccan pepper, potato and tomato salad
Moroccan potato, pepper and tomato recipe is an easy vegetarian/vegan cooked salad. Usually served warm, you can also serve it as a side dish to grills or fried fish while enriched with meat or seafood, can be a meal in itself as it has it all.
- 1 green pepper The pointy version, seeded and chopped or cut in small cubes
- 1 onion any type, finely chopped
- 1 tomato medium-sized tomato, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 potato large and firm variety, peeled and diced 2 cm large.
- Okra a handful (in Morocco they are small so we don't dice them).
- 4 tbsp coriander finely chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp paprika sweet
- ½ tsp cumin ground
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pale courgette small, small dice (if you add courgette, omit okra)
- 1 red pepper pointy variety, seeded and diced small
Over medium heat, sautée onionsand peppers with chermoula about 3 minutes. Top with 1/4 of water and simmerfor another 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the vegetables and stir. Add enough water to cover the ingredients.Put the lid on and let simmer away, over low heat until everything cooks tendresses and the liquid has reduced.
If you notice that it has massively reduced halfway through the cooking, top it with a little bit of water so it evaporates near the end of cooking. This cooked salad is not supposed to be a saucy dish when served as a cooked salad or side dish.
Once cooked. Add another tablespoon of olive oil and serve warm or at room temperature. garnished with chopped parsley leaves.
- For a non-vegetarian version, you can add spicy sausages such as merguez, sujuk or chorizo to the mix. My dad used to add meatballs or sausages to make it a wholesome dish.
- You can use whole tiny new potatoes instead of the diced ones as they also cook fast and won’t break.
- You may use char-grilled peppers for this recipe.
- You may add a touch of harissa or cayenne for a kick.