Today’s post has been put together by a friend of mine who shares with me the love for everything Moroccan. We share similar interests when it comes to finding the origin of Moroccan recipes and how they’re done across the country.
She is a very knowledgeable person who constantly looks for ways to promote Moroccan culture and traditions and she does it so beautifully.
When I asked her to write a guest post for the blog, she was so kind to accept and come up with a wonderful recipe from the magical word of Moroccan Sephardi Cuisine. Happy reading and cooking!
Stuffed dried apricots or mechmach mâmmar is a very old Jewish Moroccan recipe.
Moroccans Jews are known for having a rich repertoire of stuffed fruit dishes, such as stuffed fresh medlar (mzah), dried apricots, dried prunes and so on.
Moroccan Jewish cooking is mild and uses spices which are different from the usual ones used in the common Moroccan cuisine. The main spices used are cinnamon, mace, nutmeg, bay leaves and white pepper.
This recipe was adapted from the book : “La cuisine Juive Marocaine”, by Lévy-Mellul Rivka.
Stuffed dried apricots - Mechmach mâammar
- 500 gram dried apricots rinsed with hot water
For the stuffing
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 onion yellow or brown, finely chopped
- 200 gram minced meat
- 1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp ginger ground
- ¼ tsp cinnamon ground
- ¼ tsp nutmeg ground
- ¼ tsp mace ground
- ¼ tsp white pepper ground
- ⅓ tsp black pepper ground
- 4 tbsp water
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp oil or clarified butter (smen, or ghee)
- pinch spices ginger, white pepper, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg, saffron threads
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 100 ml water or enough to cover the apricots
- In a pan, melt the butter and fry the onion until translucent.
- In a bowl, mix the fried onion with the rest of the ingredients for the meatballs. Make small balls (hazelnut size) with the minced meat mixture.
- If the apricots you are using are large, make larger meatballs.
- Open the apricots with a sharp knife, along one side so they partially resemble to open clam shells.
- In a pan, reheat the clarified butter. Add the stuffed apricots and the rest of the ingredients. Cover with enough water. Cover the pan and cook until the apricots are soft.