Those mini-tartlets with naturally caramelised onions and bits of khlii (which you can replace with smoky bacon) are really irresistible, especially if you serve them along with pickles.
I prefer to use this fuss-free dough as a base to make them but you can use a savoury shortcrust of puff pastry dough.
This recipe is freezer-friendly at any stage: either when you make the dough or shape it in its moulds, or fill it or even bake it all.
Moroccan khlii tartlets
- Rolling Pin
- Tartlets tins
- 300 gram flour
- 90 ml boiling water
- 10 ml white vinegar
- 100 ml oil 50/50 olive oil/vegetable oil
- 5 gram baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- tarragon or thyme optional
For the filling
- 2 onions medium-size, finely sliced
- 100 gram khlii or jerk meat, in small strips
- 100 gram cheese grated, lactose-free or Edam, gruyère for a Non-lactose free version
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 sundried tomatoes or confit of tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- parsley leaves
- Start preparing the filling that needs cooking to allow time for it to cool.
- Allow the onions to sweat in olive oil for a minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cover. Onions need to become tender and water must evaporate. This step should take about 20 minutes.
- Add the butter and herbs and stir. The onions should start turning from creamy to nicely golden.
- Set aside to cool. Fold in sun-dried tomatoes and bits of khlii.
- Mix all ingredients together except flour and baking powder which you need to add just afterwards. Combine to a dough.
- Roll over a floured surface as thin as you can (about 1 mm). Do not over-flour the surface so the dough keeps a good texture after it's baked.
- Cut shapes that will fit into your moulds, press the bottom to expel air and the edges firmly.
- Prick them as much as you can
- At this stage, you can either freeze the dough shells before or after you fill them or bake them and freeze them later on.
- I freeze the dough in the moulds for 15 minutes, by the time the oven is well preheated.
Assembly and baking
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C. Place all the mini-moulds in a baking sheet. Blank bake the dough for about 12 - 15 min.
- Place the onions mixed with sun-dried tomatoes and khlii bits on top. Sprinkle some grated cheese.
- Bake for about 5-7 minutes.Serve at room temperature.