Moroccan cucumber and orange salad is a summer fixture on a Fassi table (from Fez).
I realised this type of furry cucumber is not furry elsewhere and it’s called Armenian cucumber. In Morocco, we call this particular type feqqous/Feggous. However, you can substitute for its regular cousin.
Feggous salad is light, refreshing and a good fit for a summer table. Add more orange juice or a homemade lemonade and you get the juice version which is also a typical drink during summer in Fez.
A question of balance
Moroccan cucumber salad with orange and oregano
- 500 gram armenian cucumber 1/3 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar or more to taste
- 1 tsp wild oregano dried
- 1/3 cup orange juice freshly squeezed.
- Grate the cucumber either finely or roughly.
- Mix all ingredients and set aside to cool before serving.
- Serve in small bowls or deep plates.
- The salad keeps well in a cold place for up to 24 hours.