Moroccan lettuce and orange juice
Memories comes to me in the form of recipes. This is my parents refreshing lettuce, orange, cucumber and radish juice which I used to enjoy during lunch time in the spring and early summer days.
We used to have this over lunch when I was a teen..I asked my mother about it yesterday and it seems that I reminded her of her old recipes. We started a long discussion which went in different directions. Classic!
This juice helps digesting a meal and it makes some veg haters drink a dose of goodness without complaining (AKA my husband).
Adjust the thickness to your liking by adding more orange juice or a homemade lemonade.When the nephews and nieces are there for lunch, the extra lemonade (lemon, water, sugar) is an addition that makes them happy.
Prep: 5 min
- 1 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 lettuce gem (called Sucrine in French), top and bottom discarded
- A bit of cucumber, about a thumb long, discard seeds.
- 2 small red radishes or about a thumb of a long one.
- 1 tbps of sugar
- 1/4 tsp of orange blossom water
Place the cucumber, radish, 1/4 of the orange/lemon juice in a blender/liquidiser. Blend until smooth. Add the rest of the liquids and keep blending for another 5 seconds.
Serve cold, with ice cubes or without.
Keep for up to a day in the fridge.