For 15 small Rghaifs
Prep: 60 min / Cooking time: 20 min
- 250g of strong white flour
- 250g of fine semolina flour
- A pinch of dried instant yeast (optional and only for cold days)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 260-280 ml of water, lukewarm
For laminating the Rghaifs
- 100 ml of vegetable oil
- 200 g of fine semolina flour
Extras for finishing and baking
- 1 egg yolk for egg wash (optional)
- Oil for the baking trays
- 1 medium-size onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups of grated courgettes/zuccini
- 2 cups of grated carrots
- 2 cups of grated potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup of grated white or purple turnip
- 1/2 cup of sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic, grated or finely crushed
- 1 cup of coriander and parsley, chopped
- 1 cube of bouillon or equivalent in powder
- 3 tbps of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tbps of sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne (optional)
Make the vegetable filling
It’s better to grate the vegetables and cook them just about Al dente. You could also cut the vegetables in tiny cubes.
Make Rghaif/Msemmen dough
Mix all ingredients with 3/4 of the water. Knead for 10 minutes by machine or 20 minutes by hand Add the 1/4 of water progressively during the kneading process when needed.
The dough should be smooth and kneaded to a perfect elasticity. Cover and set aside to rest for 15-20 minutes so the dough relaxes a bit.
Shape vegetable Rghaifs
Oil your hands, make balls the size of an apricot and smear them with oil (see how we shape the balls. Place all the dough balls in an oiled tray.
Cover with foil or cling film while you prepare the work top and preheat the oven at 180 degrees.. Place them on a table or an oiled tray.
Roll the balls one by one with the palm of the hand and then with oiled fingers gently stretching the dough in all directions until it is thin (transparent) and spread evenly. Sprinkle with fine semolina flour (optional).
|The process of making mini- Rghaifs with vegetables
(click on the picture to make it bigger)
Place a few tablespoons of the vegetable filling and shape a Rghifa square by folding the opposite sides on each others. At this stage, the filled square should from 6 to 12 cm large.
Place on a baking sheet and leave about 15 cm space around each Rghifa. Flatten slightly and brush with egg wash (optional). They should be around 10 cm (from 6 cm) and 18 cm from (12 cm) large by now.
Make preheat the oven to 180-200 degrees C depending how big the oven is. Bake for about 20 min or until golden from top and bottom,
You will need a good glass of tea with mint to digest ..