Kheer is an Indian rice pudding to die for! It is best eaten creamy and well chilled. We tried it 3 weeks back, my husband and I, and here I am making it for the 3rd time. It’s addictive!
– 1 cup of condensed milk
– 4 cardamom seeds (crushed)
– 1 tbsp almonds (blanched silvered)
– A pinch of saffron threads, soaked in a little hot milk
– 1 tbsp skinned pistachio nuts (chopped), optional
– 1 tbsp raisins (optional)
– 1 tbsp sugar or as desired
– Wash the rice. Discard the water and put it along with milk and cardamom onto a pan. Bring to boil and simmer gently until the rice is soft and tender (about 25 min).
– Add saffron, raisins and condensed milk and sugar. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Keep stiring so it does not stick.
– Remove the rice kheer from heat and serve either warm or chilled. Sprinkle finely chopped almond and pistachio.